Sunday, February 25, 2007

Post #6

The New York Times is one of the most famous public propagates in the nation, especially considering with “New York”, one of the most famous cities with lights turned on all night. I think “The New York Times”blog-Screens is a good example to show the nation and the world what “New York” truly means, as well as New Yorkers daily life and local culture.

This particular blog has provided “The New York Times” into several different parts. Each one of them represents different contents under a particular title, such as “World”, “US”, “N.Y/ Region”, “Business”, “Technology”, “Science”, “Health”, “Sports”, “Opinion”, “Arts”, “Style”, “Travel”, “Jobs”, “Real Estate”, and “Autos”. From the macro world, then concentrates to people’s daily life.

White background color with dark blue or black context, everything looks simple and seems so dull. But all the article’s titles have caught my attention. This site is more considered with information, messages, and news by giving up the fancy decoration of the blog. The news has covered through different areas and levels on the site. For example, the “Arts”, I have discovered lots of interesting information on there. On the right top corner, there is a paragraph about “screens”. “With television and the Internet converging at last, who's going to watch all this here-goes-nothing online video? Everything from political propaganda videos to pseudo-candid celebrity rants seems to expect an audience. "Screens" will find, review and make sense of all those senseless new images: web video, viral video, user-driven video, custom interactive video, embedded video ads, web-based VOD, broadband television, diavlogs, vcasts, vlogs, video podcasts, mobisodes, webisodes, mashups and more.”

Those information give us a little background about their blog, gives readers (especially a new reader like me) some ideas about the blog. What is the blog about? Is there anything interesting that audience would expect to see?

Also, there is a spot that under the “screens” named “Popular Tags”, there are more than hundred tags are arranged in an alphabetical order, they have made for audience to find the information that they need much easier on this blog.

Like what the “screens” says, those articles are all attached with one or more short videos (most of them were copied from Youtube).

Considering with my own blog, “The New York Times” blog is much more popular of course, also it’s fun to visit. Also I think “The New York Times” blog is more like a blog which is belonged to a group or an organization, although my blog is more like a person as an individual. “The New York Times” is representing the ideas or opinions of the entire “The New York Times”, but my blog only has to response for myself (or the engl 1020 class).

However, there are lots of great things for me to draw on the experience of how to actually create an interesting blog, such as content choosing, images choosing, and video choosing.

1 comment:

Jonathan Tran said...

Haha we said some of the same things. I have to agree with the dull background. Although I didn't technically say it was dull, I was thinking it. I said it was just so boring to make it easy navigable.

I have to agree, the new york times logo makes it seem so big and important.

I actually didn't really enjoy the blog. I really thought it was boring, and immediatly seeing I saw the youtube of a weird thing, and it just felt like another site with amusing videos. Those sites are everywhere on the internet, but it was so weird seeing it associated with a new york times site. It made me feel like, should I look at this?