Sunday, February 4, 2007

Post #4

Observation about international airport



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



First of all, I have to say that I had a totally different object for my observational essay besides this one. However, after I looked all of those questions for post #4, I couldn’t find anything that considering with my object. So I decided to choose another topic which is easier to find other resources to support and much more closer to our lives.
Couple days ago, my dad and I were searching airplane ticket for my mom and my sister to go back China on March. By the way, I have looked at several different international airport official websites, such as
DIA (Denver International Airport), Shanghai International Airport, and Hong Kong International Airport.
By my researching, I discovered those airports not only provide multiple air routes for global passengers, but also different kinds of services inside of the airports, such as Hong Kong international airport has provided
Shyplaza shopping, dinning, and entertainment services, such as bookstores, liquor & tobacco, health & beauty, personal care, money exchange, bank service, and even shoe shine service.
“Capacity, capacity, capacity. Whether it is airfield, passenger or cargo facilities, Denver International Airport has room to grow. Situated on 34,000 acres or 53 square miles, DIA is one of the largest airports in the world. From the expansive and beautiful Jeppesen Terminal to Colorado second largest Public art display, Denver International Airport is renowned for aesthetics, aviation safety, customer satisfaction and passenger convenience. At 11 years old, it is the nation sixth-busiest airport and the 11th-busiest in the world.” This is what shows on the
DIA’s website. All the numbers give us strong evidences about what the DIA has represented about our country.
Shanghai Pudong International Airport is the youngest airport in my home country China. Also, it was the airport I flied from four years ago when I came to United States. And it will also be the first place where my mom will arrive in China on March. On the Pudong’s website, there are lots of details for passengers, such as services locations, airport locations, city maps, and city weather searches.
Therefore, I have also discovered different airports also represent their countries and cultures. The most interesting example is Hong Kong International Airport, if you understand Hong Kong’s history, you could discover that western culture has merged into Hong Kong culture or even Asian culture. There are lots of factors you can find out just by looking at its website.
I think everyone has some sort of experiences about flight, especially for the people, like me, have to fly all the way through Pacific Ocean (just want to tell you how far it is, kind of hard to describe the distance), spend at least 20 hours in the plane. The safety and the quality of the flight would be the first two things I would concern about.
As I mentioned, “sky ride” has become one of the most important transportations for each one of us. As my audience, they might want to know what are the features about those different airports, what are the differences between them, what are the comments between them, furthermore, what are the specialties for each one of them.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 comment:

davidkk said...

Your observational writing on airports was kinda interesting. I always knew that DIA was one of the busier airports in the United States, but it never came to me as a topic. For you to have so much insight to your home and its airport was acknowledgeable, as well as a little strange haha. Within your observational essay, I can feel a sense of pride of your background, which i think is great. One of my friend's friend is in China to study, and he tells me that year by year, the culture changes more and more into the Western sense. More fast food shops coming in and more WalMart corner to corner. Is that good though? Anyway, I hope that you have a safe trip to China and don't get too crazy with the shopping.